For this Day:

;

Filters for Friends

The Socrates Triple Filter Test

In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold  knowledge in high esteem.
One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher  and said, "Do you know
what I just heard about  your friend?"
"Hold on a minute,"  Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything, I'd
like  you to pass a little test. It's called
the Triple  Filter Test."

"Triple filter?"

"That's right,"  Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my
friend,  it might be a good idea to take a
moment and filter what you're  going to say. That's why I call it the
triple filter test."

"The first filter is TRUTH. Have you  made absolutely sure that what you
are about to tell me is  true?"
"No," the man said,  "actually  I just heard about it and..."

'All  right,"  said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true  or
not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter
of GOODNESS.  Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something
good?"

"No, on the  contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but
you're not certain it's true. You
may still pass the test though, because there's  one filter left: the
filter of USEFULNESS. Is what you want to
tell me about my friend going to be  useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded  Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is  neither true
nor good nor even useful, why tell it to
me at all?"

Friends, use  this triple filter each time you hear loose talk about any of
your near &  dear.

Fate determines who  comes into our lives. The heart determines who
stays...

No comments: